How to Watch Your CCTV Cameras on the Internet
If you have CCTV cameras installed at your business, there’s a good chance that you’ll want to be able to watch them online from your phone, tablet, or laptop. There are a lot of advantages to doing this and it’s a common request from many business owners.
The good news is that most modern cameras make it easy to watch live and recorded footage remotely.
Watching CCTV Cameras Remotely
To watch your cameras from your phone or other device, there may be a few steps you will need to take. It’s important to note that not all cameras or camera systems are the same and, therefore, the process may be different for each system. However, in general, there are a few steps you will likely have to follow:
- Connect your DVR to the internet
- Your CCTV cameras are likely recording footage to a DVR. To watch cameras remotely, you’ll need to connect this DVR to the internet, likely by using an ethernet cable. Your security company should be able to tell you exactly how to do this.
- Note that some older technology may not be able to connect to the internet
- Download the appropriate software and apps
- The type of software you need to view your cameras will depend on the provider. They may have a proprietary app, or you might be using a third-party solution. Some solutions are available to any device that has an internet connection, while other may require a specific operating system (iOS, macOS, Windows, Android, etc.).
- Configure your software
- Once you have the right software installed, you may have to configure it before you can view your cameras online. Your provider should be able to help you with this. You may also be able to set up alerts and notifications that will let you know when there is a potential problem.
Benefits to Viewing CCTV Cameras Remotely
There are many reasons why you may want to view your CCTV cameras from your phone or computer.
- You can see what’s happening in your business in real time. This allows you to keep tabs on your staff in addition to spotting any suspicious, dangerous, or criminal situations.
- You can also play back recorded footage (depending on your plan and your DVR), so you can see situations develop.
- Some software and camera set ups will even let you pan, tilt, or zoom your cameras to get different views.
- You may also be able to get notifications and alerts on your phone, so you’ll know when something unexpected happens, such as if motion is detected when there should be no motion or if a door that should be closed has been opened.
Watching your security cameras remotely will let you stay informed with what’s going on at your business and you’ll always know that your cameras are working correctly, which provides a lot of peace of mind.
You won’t have to worry that your site isn’t properly protected, and you’ll always be able to check in and see your business.
Using a Live Remote Monitoring Services
While it’s certainly a benefit to be able to watch your CCTV cameras from your phone, the reality is that you may not want to do this all the time. You may not be able to watch and respond to situations 24/7, even if you have notifications activated.
In these situations, using a live remote monitoring service can be an excellent solution.
With live monitoring, cameras and other security devices (such as sensors and two-way speakers) are installed at your property. These tools are watched over by trained professional security agents.
They watch your CCTV cameras 24/7 and, if there is any suspicious activity, they can react right away. For instance, agents can use two-way speakers to communicate with someone who is walking around outside your gates.
They can let the person know that if they don’t leave the property, the police will be called. This deters criminals and keeps your business safe.
For more information on CCTV cameras and how remote monitoring can protect your property, please contact Birdseye Security Solutions today. With years of experience and cutting-edge technology, we are a North American leader in remote security and facility monitoring.
Our team can help you find the right security solutions for your business.